Saturday, July 11, 2015

Week 23-24

Second trimester is a pretty boring trimester. Not much happens other than the steady growth of my belly and a whole lot of kicking. SPEAKING OF KICKING, I've decided to write an in depth description of what it feels like since Google failed to make it clear.

Kicking 101 (with baby spawn)
  • When it started: I could feel fluttering around week 16. Now at this point, when they say "flutters" that is what it feels like. They could be phantom for all I know but it feels closest to that feeling of super nervousness and your stomach is fluttering. Sometimes if I placed my hand hard on my belly I could ALMOST make out the fluttering underneath.Of course Eric was convinced he could feel it due to his "special bond" with the baby
  • Hard kicks: That started around week 17. It was pretty surprising as I was just sitting there and then suddenly it felt like part of my tummy spasm. The mom can definitely feel it more than anyone else as you feel it both on the inside as well the gentle bump outside the belly.
  • Week 20-ish: Definitely not gentle bumps anymore. I was able to see a couple times outside my belly whenever the baby kicked. There is a "tv remote test" where you balance the tv remote on your belly and watch when it moves as the baby kicks. Half the time my labored asthmatic breathing made it look like the baby kicked. Eric was actually able to feel the kicks at this point.
  • Week 24: BABY HICCUPS! So for the past week or so I've been feeling what feels like light kicks to my butt/cervix (not that I actually know where my cervix is located, I just imagine that it's my cervix). They are pretty annoying and come regularly for a little while. I'm pretty sure those are hiccups and the baby apparently spends half her day hiccuping. 
24.5 weeks... it definitely looks like there's a baby in there now.. 
Geez baby, you have a lot of stuff for someone who isn't even born yet. All thanks to your aunties.

With week 24 finishing up, the baby is now viable! She now has a 50-80% chance of survival outside the womb :). Week 24 is also the cutoff date if anyone wanted to terminate a pregnancy (:( :()


COMPLETED WEEKS OF GESTATION AT BIRTH
(using last menstrual period)
CHANCE OF SURVIVAL
21 weeks and less0%
22 weeks0-10%*
23 weeks10-35%
24 weeks40-70%
25 weeks50-80%
26 weeks80-90%
27 weeks>90%
30 weeks>95%
34 weeks>98%







No comments:

Post a Comment