Sunday, May 3, 2015

Week 14 (2nd half)

I FEEL GREAT.

It's been almost a week since the last time I threw up/dry heaved and I feel so great, in fact, that I'm even starting to forget how miserable I've been the past couple months!

AND THIS IS HOW WOMEN ARE TRICKED INTO HAVING MULTIPLE BABIES D:

At least I've documented my misery in detail so the next time I start thinking babies are so freaking cute I can reread the trauma of the past couple months and make an educated decision (ha. yeah right :().

I'm almost back to normal now. I can move around, eat things, stay awake, and generally am operating like a human being again! Oh sweet, sweet basic life abilities, I'm never taking you for granted again.

First trimester recap

  • Weight Gain: I've gained about 6 lbs first trimester and have officially started setting new records on my scale :(. As miserable as my nausea has been, I guess it doesn't fall on the extreme spectrum of morning sickness. Every time I've gone to the OB and lamented pitifully about how nauseous I am she has always rudely unsympathetic thanks to those women who lose 10 lbs their first trimester because they can't keep anything down. Hmph.
  • Fitness: I never considered myself super fit prior to pregnancy but I was hitting up the gym about 3-4 times a week for weight lifting and a yoga class or quick run 1-2 times a week (ok, that sounds way more intense typed out than it was. They were not long sessions - around 30-40m and most of it was sitting around in gym clothes feeling "productive"). I stuck to that schedule for the first month but once morning sickness hit I've been at the gym a whopping total of two times - and both times were to pay for my bill. Needless to say I'm grossly out of shape now as confirmed by the fact that I tried to do "warm-up day one" of Kayla Itsines and got through half of it and almost died. By contrast, the last time I tried that workout I didn't even feel winded :(.

    Now that I'm starting to feel better I've been doing just light weights and squats at home so that hopefully the squat rack won't kill me right away when I visit the gym again. I will have to modify my workouts though as I can't do exercises on my back (as the baby gets bigger lying on my back presses on the vena cava and reduces circulation to the baby) and I'll most likely avoid heavy weights... just in case.
  • Baby bump: The baby bump is SUPER UNCOMFORTABLE. It literally feels like I have a volleyball wedged in my midriff especially when I slouch over. Initially my belly expanded below the belly button but over time it seemed to shift upwards. I definitely feel like I'm growing more wide than out which is unfortunate because THAT IS COMPLETELY THE WRONG DIRECTION TO GROW IN. I don't know how I'll be able to handle getting bigger considering how poorly I'm handling it now.

    The baby bump grew alarmingly around weeks 9-11 and it hasn't seemed to grow much since then despite the fact that the baby has about quadrupled in size since then (from cherry to orange). Which makes me super suspicious that it was just bloating which is just disgusting so I'd rather not think about that.
  • Diet: HAAA. WHAT DIET. Just kidding (kinda). On one hand I've cut out coffee, raw fish and most seafood in general, as well as pink meat, deli meat, and salads. Basically anything that puts you at risk for getting sick normally plus a couple other things that irritate the baby. I thought coffee would be a hard one to kick but after my strong distate for food and everything smelly the first couple weeks it ended up being super easy. You can have the equivalent of one cup of coffee of caffeine a day unless you want an irritated fetus and there are some inconclusive studies that show a correlation that the percentage of miscarriage is higher with women who ingested a lot of caffeine vs not.

    On the other hand I've basically turned into the guy from Supersize Me. First trimester was all about eating 1) food that would not be disgusting when thrown back up and 2) whatever I wanted. That ended up being a boatload of carbs in the form of bread and a ton of crap food. I tried REALLY hard to eat healthily the first couple weeks but just gave up and succumbed to trying to get through each day alive. I will never judge pregnant people again.
  • Clothing: I was not excited about maternity shopping. That sounded like an exorbitant waste of money to look halfway decent for six months when you definitely don't feel decent beneath the ridiculously priced tent you are wearing. So far I'm still able to fit in most of my normal clothes and can even zip up my pants if I suck in my belly - but I don't even really want to do that non pregnant so why would I do that now that I'm 6 lbs heavier? Anything tight would exacerbate my nausea so I've pretty much been living in maxi skirts and tshirts for the past couple months.

    Belly bands are amazing inventions. Thanks to them I can wear pants on the desperate days I run out of laundry and I can walk around with my pants unzipped and nobody knows! The downside is that your pants slightly feel like they're in danger of falling down all day but who cares. 


  • Stretch marks/linea nigra: Nothing so far... *knocks desperately on wood*. Actually I've recently discovered some small stretch marks around my boobs so THERE GOES MY DREAMS OF JOINING A TOPLESS COLONY :(. It sounds like it just depends if you're prone to stretch marks genetically and creams can help treat them but won't do too much to prevent them. We'll see how this progresses but so far for creams I like just plain coconut oil for its fast absorption and Burt's Bees Mama Bee belly butter for the days I just don't want to smell anything.
Whew, long recap. I'll edit if I think of anything else otherwise, on to trimester number two! 



No comments:

Post a Comment